Most psychiatric medicines are useless (Zyprexa etc) and in practice one should avoid using such drugs and look for alternative solutions. The drugs are often close to placebo and (withdrawal of) medicines can cause psychosis (supersensitivity psychosis) and other problems unrelated to the original condition of the patient. Almost all psychiatric drugs(neuroleptics, adhd, depression, anxiety..) are garbage, leads to side-effects and are not going to make people more intelligent, powerful, dangerous and capable. Psychiatry is used to define people that might not be as efficient or productive as possible to be ill in order to reduce public healthcare costs or improve productivity of workers so they can be destroyed but also way too often to destroy healthy individuals who doctors do not like for some reason or another. Additionally, there is typically zero attempt to actually help the individual, even when it would cost much less money. Psychiatrists has formed a pseudomedicine and pseudotreatments used to control, damage and kill. Psychosis can be treated without medications or restraint methods (Soteria/Loren Mosher).
Psychiatrists typically believe in damaging side-effects of their drugs (punishment through drugs). The drugs typically just dampen and reduce brain activity and maybe some of the symptoms. Instead of being private consultants that help customers to cope with his situation (a disease ?!?) and help him to reach his goals, nervous system is disabled using drugs. They often engage in fraudulent business practices, want to write sick leaves, treat people against their will and prescribe stupid drugs instead of genuinely improving their customers. No other profession is so arrogant that they declare their customer to be “mentally-ill” which is often an excuse to provide substandard service and damage their patient. [in other fields you can at least sue them but in medicine “mental illness” is a proper diagnosis and a treatment making it much more difficult to work against].
- bonus system: amount of money psychiatrists make should be largely based on the increased profitability of the patients (so psychiatrists should get, for example, 5% of the extra income patient makes year after the treatments): this should then cause them to do something useful and actually reduce overall mental health costs
- much less than 1% of population has schizophrenia as a serious brain disease making it impossible to do very little rational thinking, for the sake of extremely small minority, they want to be able to treat people against their will
- do not want to help people even when it would cost much less money (they use millions and millions developing stupid drugs that are often completely useless)
- want to claim their patients have “mental health problem” instead of directly improving efficiency in society (less poverty etc)
(It is interesting how arbitrary “mental illnesses” can sometimes be. For example, homosexuality is no more disease although it is a clear biological disadvantage reducing ability to have offspring and you cannot even get treatment for it nowadays)
Mood altering drugs:
- vacation to relax and restore instead of sick leave (time)
- food (taste) [berries etc]
- scents: lavender, jasmine, wild roses, lemon oil..
- dancing, massage..
- exercise (endorphins)
- caffeine (may upregulate GABA)
- avoid real street drugs as they are dangerous (amphetamines, cocaine, cannabis etc etc)
If you need to use antipsychotics, maybe use Seroquel (for sleep) as it is maybe the safest drug. NEVER start using Abilify because it can be very difficult drug to discontinue – the list is just endless how Abilify can mess your head.
Improve brain function:
Neuroleptic medications like zyprexa also cause significant brain shrinkage [astrocytes and other brain support cells] within a year or two (10-20% brain shrinkage): Effect of chronic antipsychotic exposure on astrocyte and oligodendrocyte numbers in macaque monkeys.
- placebo (conditions that are treated are not life-threatening and resolve by itself given enough time) (less is more)
- stimulation instead of drug based manipulation of the brain
- talking/friends/psychologists: instead of drugs
- aerobic exercise (running), playing instruments can help too
- meditation, yoga, (self-)hypnosis can increase GABA up to 30%
- jujube fruit
- blueberries [upregulate BDNF, NGF, CNTF etc without damaging the brain]
- BCAA for traumatic brain injury?
- fish oil (DHA+EPA) is good for the brain [+ reduce inflammation of brain]
- amla is aldose reductase inhibitor which may cause increase in BDNF/CNTF (actual drugs which are aldose reductase inhibitors cause signficant side-effects thought)
- magnesium, probiotics can have effect to mind too
- nogo A downregulation/inhibition is good for brain repair/improving brain (but excessive E vitamin is bad for you?)
- certain high-quality perfumes are interesting (incensole acetate from frankincense?)
- there are costly private psychiatric hospitals and psychiatrists in switzerland and elsewhere (but you want to use neurologists instead), also local mental health organizations and their resources might sometimes be useful
- some advanced benzo or alcohol withdrawal methods and epilepsy treatments to improve GABA functioning might actually work
- treatments, research and medications for tinnitus, epilepsy, alzheimer, parkinssons, ALS, traumatic brain injury, brain damage, neuroprotection etc are interesting
- nootropics [but most of the supplements they sell as nootropics are just total scams [the drugs they push to people are not very good but the supplement industry is even worse – but there are few exceptions]]
- maslinic acid (olive pomace oil) upregulates EAAT2 and is neuroprotective?
The absolute worst thing is going up and down with the medications (short half-life drugs are maybe more difficult to use. Time course of central nervous dopamine-D2 and 5-HT2 receptor blockade and plasma drug concentrations after discontinuation of quetiapine (Seroquel) in patients with schizophrenia.
Long-term use of neuroleptics can cause cognitive problems (5+ years), heart/breathing? issues and sleep related side-effects.
Long-term use of psychiatric drugs (neuroleptics) does not often make sense. They cause neurodegenerative conditionsand withdrawal becomes more and more difficult process. In practice one should probably do well-planned quick withdrawal (just stop it) after few months if possible. (long-term use beyond 10 years is maybe impossible).
- insomnia and poor sleep quality: insomnia WITHOUT getting tired is bad [insomnia so that you get tired is “ok”] – poor sleep can cause health problems like high blood pressure etc.
- temporal withdrawal psychosis [just wait and maybe it goes away]
- blood levels of the drug disappear from blood according to the half-life of the drug (rather fast), the drug from brain flush out in something like 4 weeks and the total reset might happen in 2-6 months or something
Some supplements or medications might be helpful:
- completely avoiding supplements or additional treatments – you just have to suffer from withdrawal
- mild exercise
- maximize sleep quality
- money and support for 2-3 months
The people in developing countries are doing better in 10-year long studies (by WHO) so the mental health system in developed countries do not function very well and the efficiency is kept high by treating/medicating people to death.